Intuition and skilful steering are needed here: with 33 bends and unique steep turns, the toboggan run on the Rinerhorn provides an action-packed adrenaline rush.
Distance 3.1 km
The Rinerhorn cable car takes about ten minutes from Glaris village to the summit. In fine weather, the view from here stretches as far as the historic Schatzalp. On the other side of the valley, it's time to sit down and take a deep breath – after all, the 3.5 km Rinerhorn toboggan run is considered one of the most challenging around, with exceptionally steep turns that demands great steering and braking skill. The run packs a punch from the very start, with a steep section including a tunnel. Once they've passed through this unscathed, sledgers will find the run becomes a little flatter as it winds its way steadily through the pine forest. Further down, there are some more steep sections characterised by banked curves, which continue until the end of the run. Sledgers will be glad to know that there's a local bus to take them safely home, even late at night. What's more, they may well be happy to let someone else drive for once.
32T 561330 5177002
Basic Equipment for Sledding
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Sledding
- Sled with tow strap
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons are useful on ascent
- Ski Helmet recommended when sledding through heavily wooded areas
- Ski goggles if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view