On the trail of the water cures – featuring former drinking halls and hotels from the Belle Époque.
Distance 7.3 km
The mineral water trail «curas da baiver» starts at Scuol visitor information centre and follows the paths that visitors took over a hundred years ago when doing a water cure. Right at the beginning of the old spa route to Nairs you can see the first information boards about the Chalzina and Tulai springs. The path then goes down to the river Inn and crosses to the other side. Café Büvetta Sfondraz – once a drinking hall – can be found by the next upriver bridge. If the cafe is open, you can try the water from the Sfondraz spring. Going past the nearly 150-year-old drinking hall «Büvetta Tarasp» on the opposite side and crossing another bridge, you will come to Chasa Carola in Nairs and the Carola spring. Due to a risk of falling rocks on the slope behind the Büvetta, the Lucius and Emerita springs (both of which have strong mineral concentrations) are inaccessible until further notice. Next, you will go back to the turning that leads to Vulpera and up the hiking trail. There, you will be able to see some grand old hotels and the spa gardens of Hotel Waldhaus, which burnt down. Next to the cure park, there is a small museum to discover about the hotel and the former cure tourism. The route through the forest and over the river Clemgia to Gurlaina, then over the lower lying bridge will take you to the old village area of Scuol Sot. You can then drink the Sotsass mineral water at the Plaz and Bagnera fountains. Going via the Stradun road, you will then come to the Plazzetta fountain in the part of the village known as Scuol Sura, which has water from the Vi spring. The tour ends at Scuol visitor information centre.
We recommend that you bring a bottle or cup with you so you can taste the water from the tapped springs.
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG (ys)
Update: July 19, 2021
Safety informationThe tour was evaluated under favourable weather conditions. Before starting the tour, we strongly advise you to check the current weather conditions and the forecast.
Emergency phone numbers:
144 Emergency services, ambulance
1414 REGA mountain rescue
112 European emergency service
Tips and hintsengadin.com/en
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters on the car transporter train through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga – Sagliains) or via the Flüela Pass to Lower Engadin on the H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria towards St. Moritz on the H27
- From the south: via Reschen Pass (Nauders – Martina) or the Ofen Pass (Val Müstair – Zernez) on the H27
Scuol is located directly on Engadiner Strasse H27 (20-minute drive from the Vereina tunnel’s southern entrance).
ParkingParking is available at the Scuol-Tarasp train station.
32T 598809 5183235
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentSturdy shoes, a bottle or cup, and protection against sun and rain are all recommended.
Basic Equipment for Nature Trails
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view