Between the cantonal road and the highway, to the south of the village of San Bernardino, lies a true pearl of nature: the high moor (bog) of Suossa. Recognized as one of the high moors of national importance in Switzerland, it has existed for several thousand years. This is evidenced by the seven-meter thick peat layer, since one thousand years are typically required for nature to form a one meter thick layer alone.
The region, surrounded by forests of Mountain Pine and Norway Spruce, is reached by foot or snowshoes after a short climb. A spectacular vista rewards us throughout our journey. From the moor’s edge, a dramatic view of the Misox valley below opens up before our eyes, as from an eagle’s nest. The automobiles, which negotiate numerous curves up the mountainside, appear from our vantage point to be toy cars. As we admire the natural beauty of the Suossa environs, me might catch a glimpse of a wild animal foraging for food.
For the second half of our tour, from Suossa back to the starting point Du Lac, snowshoes are a requirement. The path takes us through the forest “Bosch di Valenten”, which is noteworthy for its captivating ups and downs. A free parking lot is available at the starting point, at the southern entrance to the village near to Lago Doss.
Basic Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Snow Shoe Walking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.