Longish, varied circular tour around the upper part of the Rhine Gorge, starting and finishing in Ilanz, the first town on the emerging Rhine.
Distance 31.1 km
From Ilanz, the route runs alongside the emerging Rhine via Schluein to Sagogn. In Sagogn you take the forest road down to the Rhine. At the Valendas/Sagogn railway station you reach the lowest point of the tour. The restaurant in the station is open at the week-end and is an ideal place to fortify oneself before embarking on the climb to Dutien. The route takes you through Valendas with the biggest wooden fountain in Europe as well as several well-preserved 17th-century manor houses. The climb happens on a quiet tarmacked road. The hamlets of Unterdutje and Oberdutje all still are part of Valendas. At the highest point, Cuolm Sura, you are treated to a unique view in to the Val Lumnezia and across the whole Grison Oberland and the Rhine Gorge. Furthermore you are rewarded with a view of a fabulous hill moor, located between several small, scattered mountain farms. A fast descent takes you through Rien and Savgein back to Ilanz.
32T 515808 5180201
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view