Mount Valserberg is a historical transit route: Until the new road to Ilanz was built in 1879/ 80 all goods headed south were transported to the Hinterrhein over the Valserberg. The legendary mountain haulers mainly carried their heavy loads over the Valserberg during the winter months. The people of Vals also took livestock over the mountain to Bellenz (Bellinzona) and Lauis (Lugano) to be sold at southern markets.
Safety informationRequirements: Surefootedness is required between Tschifera and the Wallatsch mountain farm (T2). Caution is advised when wet, cold or in the case of snow or fog on a section of the trail between the Wallatsch mountain farm and Mount Valserberg.
Mother cows defend their calves. Keep a large distance and be aware of how the mother cow is behaving.
Keep the dog on a leash and let it go in case of emergency or attack. link behavior http://www.wandern.ch/de/wandern/sicher-unterwegs/mutterkuhherden
Tips and hints
Getting thereVia Chur-Ilanz to Vals.
ParkingParking "Bidem" (paying necessary) near village square.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSolid, rainproof, warm clothing. Solid mountain or trekking boots. Gloves, hat, sun protection. Walking poles, food and drink in a rucksack, first aid kit, topographical map, altimeter, compass, mobile phone, torch.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.