Panoramic hike high above the Samnaun valley.
Distance 8.9 km
From the guest information desk the hike starts along the village road. After the Hotel Post turn left, at Hotel Bündnerhof turn left again over the bridge over the Maisasbach. Immediately afterwards the leisurely ascent through the forest begins to the Motta Saltuorn hut and on to the vantage point above the Val Motnaida, where the view opens up over Samnaun village and the Piz Ot. Past the avalanche barriers, the view opens up over the whole Samnaun valley. On the other side of the valley you can see the Silvretta Arena with the imposing peaks of Flimspitz and Bürkelkopf for once from a distance. After the somewhat exposed passage through the Val da Chierns - this path is also called the "Schäfersteig" (shepherd's path) by the locals - we walk comfortably via Motta Foppazins to the Piz Mezdi, where the view of the Val Sampuoir opens up. Over the border ridge of the two communities of Samnaun and Valsot, the path descends to Fuorcla Curschiglias. From here there is the possibility to descend towards Samnaun-Compatsch either along the forest road or in direct descent via Magnüda.
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair
Update: May 04, 2021
Rest StopFireplace Motta Saltuorn
Safety informationThe tour has been evaluated under favorable weather conditions. Current weather conditions and weather forecasts must be taken into account before the tour starts. This hike requires elementary alpine experience, orientation skills. Trekking shoes are recommended.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
Tips and hintswww.samnaun.ch
- On the north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains). Then take the H27 in the direction via Scuol and Martina to Vinadi. At the junction Vinadi to Samnaun (about 1 hour from Vereina Südportal)
- From the east: via the Inn valley road B180 via Landeck to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders) on B180 to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
ParkingFree parking in Samnaun village (Chasa Riva, Musella or Votlas)
32T 603684 5199981
EquipmentGood shoes, rain and sun protection, water bottle, bandages.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view