Deep ravines, impressive panoramic views and witnesses to the history of Graubünden’s transport routes await discovery at the Posterior Rhine
Distance 27.1 km
From Thusis (680 m above sea level), the old Viamala road leads through the "lost hole" to Rongellen. The 300-meter high cliffs of the Viamala Gorge natural monument will amaze you. The road runs high over the Viamala and looking into the gorge is worth it. A stop at the Visitor Center not only gives you a chance to rest, but also brings you closer to the AlpTransit’s history. The route continues in the direction of the Muntogna da Schons and Schamserberg villages. Through Zillis (945 m above sea level) and Donat you’ll reach Lohn (1585 m above sea level), Mathon and Wergenstein. A great view over the whole valley, including the fantastic road to Wergenstein, which towers high above the Schamsertal will be your reward. A nice descent on an agricultural road brings you to Casti. An imposing wooden bridge takes you to Clugin, before you start the last stretch of the journey riding on a dirt road to Andeer (982 m above sea level). Andeer is known for its healing spring. Enjoy the mineral bath with a wellness area – it’s a guaranteed rest for your sore muscles.
Update: January 19, 2022
Rest StopGasthaus Alte Post
32T 533608 5171721
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view